Here's a fun fact: there have been only eight films to amass over $1 billion in box office sales and actor Johnny Depp has been in three of them.
As of July 5, the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, On Stranger Tides, had tallied $1.009 billion in box offices worldwide (the film has made an additional $12 million since that date). The film stars Depp as the beloved Captain Jack Sparrow, alongside Geoffrey Rush and newcomers Penélope Cruz and Ian McShane. Depp has also helped Disney reach the feat as Captain Jack in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1.065 billion) and as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland ($1.023 billion).
The complete list of films to have reached the billion-dollar mark is as follows:
- Avatar (2009) - $2.781 billion
- Titanic (1997) - $1.835 billion
- The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - $1.119 billion
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) - $1.065 billion
- Toy Story 3 (2010) - $1.062 billion
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) - $1.023 billion
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) - $1.021 billion
- The Dark Knight (2008) - $1.001 billion
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides will be available in Blu-ray as a 5-disc Limited Edition Combo Pack and in standard Blu-ray and DVD sets on October 18. Pre-orders are now available on Amazon.
Photo via Film.com